Wednesday, October 11, 2006
Caught up!

Well, we are just about caught up on the jet lag. It took me longer than it took Mike. Mike slept very well when we got back and I didn't. That was the main difference in our jet lag recovery. I even took naps and it didn't help, because I stayed pu too late at night. I have finally gotten on the right schedule now.
We have been having some windy days again. It wasn't too sandy in the house when we got back. I waited for the winds to slow down and then did a good thorough cleaning and dusted really well. I should say I washed everything off.
Mike and I had to go shopping fairly soon after we got back. We had no food in the house. Of course, after we went to get all of the major things we realized we needed some other things not on the list. We are just about caught up now on that too.
I got back just in time for the next monthly breakfast for the Schlumberger Spouse's Association (SSA). There are lots of things coming up that I hope to take part in. It was a nice breakfast. They have a huge assortment of things to eat from fruit to cereals,meats, eggs, hash browns, grilled veggies, juices, breads, jellies, juices, coffees, teas and soft drinks. It is always buffet style and you can get your eggs cooked fresh the way you want them. Of course, the bacon and sausages are not pork. They are beef. We mainly eat and visit. I ran a few errands with my neighbor, who gives me a ride. She is from Texas. She has family in Oklahoma. We went to a grocery store I never visited before. We also went to a bank for her to do some paper work for the SSA. She is the president of it for this year. While she ran in to the bank I sat in the car and kept it cool. It was only 3 days after we got back home that we did all of this and I nearly fell asleep while visiting at the table and then again when Penny was at the bank. I made it though. Never did fall asleep. When we got home I made sure I didn't lay down or read, because I would have fallen asleep.
We are going to the Sohour Dinner on the 17th. It is on the beach in a tent. SLB provides the meal. They say it is really fun. We will see. It is something for Ramadan, so who knows how it will be. Ramadan won't be over by then so we don't eat till 8:00pm. We will be having a snack before that is for sure. Mike will never make it. It is actually at a really nice hotel on the beach, but we will really be outside in a tent. We should have a great breeze and the temp should be nice. I sure hope so anyway.
Later on there is a dessert trip I am looking forward to. I can choose a half day or a whole day. It is for spouses only. It will be in a 4 wheel drive vehicle. I think that is scheduled for November. Sounds like fun to me though.
Now that I have caught up on the jet lag and have gotten used to climbing the stairs again. I have started a small workout. I need to get used to that before I start doing more. Right now I am just doing the treadmill. Today I am doing laundry, so I am getting an extra work out. Stairs many many times and the treadmill. I used to stay up on the second floor at least while I was doing the laundry, but I got tired of that a long time ago. I now make myself do all 3 flights each time.
When we got back there are all new shows on tv and that is interesting. Most of them are ones we don't care for, so we are glad we brought back some dvds of some tv shows and I think we brought back a movie or two we haven't seen yet. We are hoping they will change it back to a few of the other shows or something else as soon as Ramadan is over. They change a lot of things during Ramadan. I am glad I don't have to fast all day long and only eat during the dark hours. They don't even drink anything during the day. Of course, they go to work a little later of a morning and they stay up really late. The restuarants even stay open till 3am. Stores change their hours too. They are open during the day but there is hardly any business till after dark. They also get off work around noon or 2pm. Nice short day for them. Anyway, they don't come out till a while after dark. They eat dates and drink water I think. Then later on they eat a real meal.
Jon said the other day he has everything unpacked and has painted our dresser and night stand. Yellow wasn't his color. Michelle told me he did a good job and everything looks really nice. Michelle has helped a lot with the business end of the move. She is even going to have a garage sale some time soon. That is just great!
I am going to put a picture in of a neighbor of ours. The other day we were driving through the compound to get to our villa and he had his front door open. He was laying on a cot suntanning right in the doorway. It was too funny. People here do leave their front doors open a lot around here. No screen door or anything. The a/c just runs. You know it is too hot here to not have it on.
I'll have to take more pictures of the tower for the Asian games. That is the tower we have always used for a landmark when we were learning our way around town. It is just about done and the stadium that is next to it is done. It is finished and they have used it a time or two. It has lights from afar that look like a roller coaster. Lots of other things are getting finished up for the games too. I can't wait for the roads to be finished. They need to get those traffic lights going to or they may all kill themselves getting used to them during the games. They are going to need some practice times. They don't follow any traffic laws now as it is.
By the way, Pam H., Pam C., Mom and Lynn, I know we all love olives and let me tell you they have an abundance of them here. All kinds. They are sold in bulk and in the deli section of the stores. You can buy just how much you want. If you want 5 olives, then you can buy that many. If you want pounds of them well you can do that too.
