Monday, November 06, 2006

 

Camels and the country side

Good morning everyone!!! This morning it was 75 degrees when I woke up. That is something to celebrate. Although I was told it is hotter this year at this time than it was last year.
Anyway, this first picture was taken last week when we were looking for where the camel races are held. They are near a real small town about half way across the country. It took us about an hour or maybe a little longer to get there. We went on the main roads on the way over there and then went on the back country roads on the way back. We never actually got to see the race track because it is in the center of a tent city and there are camels all around like these in the first picture. One camel got loose so a man who had another camel were chasing the other one on the side of the road. They say during racing season this tent city just pops up and people live there with their camels till the racing season is over in March or April. I sure hope we get to go to a race at least once this year. The races are always are on a Thursday. They start at 4:00pm and last till I think they said around 7:30pm.
On the way over we noticed a sign that was a road that went right behind our addition and took that one back just to see where it would come out. It took a little longer but there were no cars on the road hardly at all. It was real easy to get to and it did go right back to where we thought it would.

This next picture is of some camels in a field on one of those back roads. They travel around just like cows. You know cows go just about the same places at the same time of the day. These were traveling together to get somewhere. We couldn't see anywhere that would be special for them to go, but they were all in a line going the same way. The fences they have to keep them in were kind of like deer fences only the hole in the fence was a little bit bigger of an area. Most of the gates leading into the those fields were open. Nothing like a cattle guard or anything like that either to keep them. We never did figure out why they didn't get out. Wish there had been someone to ask why the gates were open. The scrub trees or whatever they are called are not very big as you can see. Just dirt/sand and those little trees. If that is what you want to call them. If you want to see these pictures a little larger you might be able to double click on them and get them to come out larger. Sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't.
Anyway, that was a fun trip out in the country.
I'll probably have another update done tomorrow too. I have a few more pictures I want to show you.
I just got back from another SSA breakfast. It was nice. I need to see if Mike wants to go on a dessert trip this weekend. It will be an all day trip. We meet up and then leave in 4 wheel drive vehicles and go to the dunes, the inland sea, and I think a beach. Hopefully Mike will be able to come. I think it will be so much fun. Otherwise I would like to go on the 1/2 day trip. It is during the week when most husbands are working. They did this trip last year and said it was loads of fun. We had a good time visiting at the SSA breakfast. We are all getting to know each other a little more. We still all wear name tags though. We probably always will because there is always someone new who has moved in. From what I hear there will be more after the first of the year too. Seems like that is the way it always goes.
Hope you enjoy the pictures.

Comments:
are you going on a deSert trip, or a deSSert trip??? hmmm...
cool camel pics. i just watched something about camels last night on the discovery channel. apparently most camels are domesticated now. there are some wild ones in the gobi desert in a sanctuary or something.
 
Very interesting. We really enjoy learning some of these things from you. Nonna & Papa
 
You guys should get one of those domestic camels as a pet.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?