Tuesday, November 07, 2006
Signs and the Asian Games tower.
Welcome to our wonderful blog. We are both doing good. Mike is at a school in Abu Dhabi. We have been taking quite a few pictures lately. This first picture was taken while we were out looking for the camel race track. The road sign on the top is telling us there will be a curve ahead. The lower sign is a do not pass sign. The left car is red and the right on is black. Apparently is red means no. I always thought it meant stop. I guess
that it is the same thing here. The next picture is of a sign on a gas pump at the gas station. Mike just loves signs here. They are interesting to figure out and they usually use different spellings like the one in this picture. The sign should say "Turn off car engine" instead of "Turn of car ingen" I hope you noticed. LOL! Who knows how they spelled it in Arabic?
This next sign is just another one of the curve
ahead and the do not pass sign. See what happens when you are trying to get a really good close up of something? I got myself taking the picture in the outside mirror. Oh that is also something different here. In the states the right outside mirror has that things are closer than they seem. Here the left one says that and is that way. The right one is normal, no close up stuff or anything like that. LOL! Mike says it really messes him up when backing up and looking from one side to the other.
This next picture is of the tower from our roof at the actual normal distance. Not far from our house at all. Anyway, it is just about through. If you notice there are clouds in the background. Miracles do happen. We had the clouds for about a full week. Each day they got a little puffier and then we actually had a little rain one day. It lasted just a few minutes and that was it. Almost got the pavement totally wet. LOL! We are supposedly in the rainy season here now. We have had clouds off and on for a couple of weeks now. Most of the time they are the little wispy ones.
The next picture is mainly of the bottom of the tower. That beautiful green grass is a type of astro turf. You can see it folded back by the sidewalk at the bottom of the picture. It is pretty though. We were in traffic at a stand still so I took this picture. At the top of this tower will be the flame for the Asian Games. It really will look like an actual torch. I will make sure I get a picture of it when they light it at the start of the games. We are going to have so much traffic when the games start. Traffic is bad enough now with them redoing the roads. By the way the road we are on taking this picture from is right the road this tower is on and is the main road that is in front of our addition. In case you want to know the name of it is Al Waab. All roads start with Al. There are also stadiums of one type or another on all sides of this tower. We were on our way to the grocery store that is right next to this sports site. It is just a little ways down this road. The next picture is another one of this tower. I don't know if you guys know this, but on most of the pictures you can double click them and they will open up enlarged. Sometimes they won't do it, but most do. We discovered this looking at Michelle's blog. Well this is about all I have for today. These pictures have driven me crazy today. I still have one more here at the end, but it is a duplicate. Don't ask me how that actually happened. I know I must have put it in twice but sure didn't think I had when I started out. Oh well...
I will add more tomorrow maybe. I am trying hard to catch up. We are supposed to go on a desert on a tour Saturday. Mike and I are both getting to go. The SSA is actually letting our spouses go. Nice! We are going to the inland sea, the dunes and I think the beach or something. I have forgotten. Our vehicles are supposed to be airconditioned, so that will be nice. We eat lunch in a tent in the desert. This is all south of Doha. I am supposed to be able to take some really awesome pictures while we are out there. I can't wait.
Ya'll have a great day and enjoy that cooler weather ya'll have been having. Rain too if you are getting any. It is still in or near the 100s here.

Debbie
Comments:
<< Home
cool pictures. I can't wait to see the ones from your trip this weekend. Hope you guys have a good time!
Post a Comment
<< Home
