Wednesday, December 06, 2006

 

General update


Hello everyone! Hope you all have had a good week so far. Our work week is just about over, so I thought I do a little update. As you know we went on our dhow trip and had a good time.
The Asian Games started on the 1st officially. Opening ceremonies were that night. Tickets went for QR500 and QR650. In dollars that is $137.00 and $178.00. Not horrible, but enough. I didn't figure it was worth that much a piece. I could see part of it from the roof. Anyway, I am so glad we didn't go, because it was rainy all day long. I was waiting for the lighting of the torch (our tower) and would just go up to the roof every so often. It was raining or I would have stayed up there. As it got later and later in the night it was getting cooler and the wind was blowing anywhere from 20 to 30 mph. Finally the rain stopped and I stayed for a little while to watch from the roof. They were only on the Ms, so I went back down to watch a little more tv while Mike slept on the couch. He just couldn't stay awake. I went up 30 minutes later and they were up S, so I went back down and did a little figuring and decided it would be a little after 10:00pm when they were through the alphabet of countries to be introduced. They did a few other things and then the fireworks started. Man, it was cold up there in just a long sleeved t-shirt. Anyway, my rooftop neighbors were up there too and we watched. It was a great display, but the smoke stayed so low because of the moisture in the air that we had to wait till the fireworks got above the smoke before we could see it. It was still pretty. They lasted about 20 minutes nonstop.
I finally got a picture of the tower last night. I wanted to get a picture when there was something on the big screen at one of the stadiums to the right, but I never could catch it. The screen is huge and like a huge television screen. You can see it clear as a bell from our roof. On the tower in the lights that go up and down it they also write things on it. I didn't get a picture of that. It is too hard. on the lower part of it you will see a small triangle of light and that is a tv screen. You can see what is on in the stadium when driving by or walking any where near the stadium. It just doesn't show up very well when they is nothing on at the stadium. Anyway, they finally lit the torch. I thought it would be a larger flame according to the way the tower is shaped and everything, but it is still large. Just not in comparison to the tower. Anyway, it all went really well and about 15 minutes after they lit the tower and everyone was leaving it started raining really hard. Thunder, lightening, wind, and rain. All of it. I am so glad I was not in the crowd of people trying to leave and get to their cars. I could not take a picture of the tower that night because it would not have shown up. Apparently the games are going really well. Jason, you have asked and asked me why it is called the Asian Games and is in the Middle East and I think I have you an answer you will like. From the statistics I have seen on the games so far the Asian countries are winning it all! I haven't checked in a few days so that could have changed, but I don't think they could get in the lead ever. I am hoping we get a chance to go this Friday or Saturday. If it is raining I won't plan on going unless it is an inside game.
We had rain most of last week. It was really nice. The cool air has been great. After all of the rain I was able to open the house without having tons of sand coming in. I learned my lesson on that one earlier. Today is the first time I have closed the house up all week. It isn't that hot yet this morning, but it is supposed to get in the high 70s today. I never opened it up this morning so I turned the a/cs on low. So far not much or a breeze to make it feel good. Mike was told the other day that the rainy season should be over. I am hoping not. It sure is nice to see things start to bloom again and the grass (where there is some) turn nice and green. Of course, with that rain came the cooler temperatures and that has been nice. Cool in the house of an evening even with the house closed up. It was 59 degrees three mornings this week. NICE! For two days it was only 68 for the high. Now I know that doesn't begin to compare to the weather all of you in the states have been having, but it was just great here. We do have a 70% chance for rain tomorrow and a little bit during the weekend, so maybe we will have a little bit more rain in this rainy season. LOL! Can you imagine it only raining in the month of December and just for a little bit. I don't think we got over an inch and a half. I am guessing, because I know we got 3/4 of an inch once and almost once again after that. Most of the time we get rain it won't even measure. It is a nice enjoyable time of the year here though.
Seems like everyone in the states is just about ready for Christmas. We aren't doing much here. I have found a Christmas radio station on the computer and it is nice to hear the music. I actually have about 3 of them now. At least I have a choice. LOL! They don't play Christmas songs in the stores. I have figured they only do the commercial part of Christmas here in the stores and stuff. No nativity scenes or anything like that. They do have the toys, Christmas trees, decorations and things like that.
We found a great place to eat here. It is like a little cafe or diner in the states. It is called Ric's Kountry Kitchen. The couple who started it are from Louisiana. They are known for the huge plates of food and especially breakfasts. We have been twice now. They have food that tastes just like home. I really believe they import their beef from the states, because it tastes just like home. Most of the beef we get from here is from New Zealand or Australia. It has a bit of a different taste, but is still good. If you are cooking it at home all you have to do it put a little seasoning on it and it is real good. Especially Hebert's seasoning. Anyone wanting to taste it just look Jon up. He puts it on about everything! They have everything there from nachos, chili cheese fries and other kinds of appetizers to burgers, sandwiches, soups, breakfasts of all kinds, steaks, corned beef, chicken fried steak, and many more things. They have fried okra and it is pretty good. Needs seasoning. Nothing is salted. Some things are peppered. They have hot dogs too and that may sound funny, but they are rare here and the are American wieners, so that is special. I haven't had one but it is nice to know. They have bbq plates, ranch style beans, slaw and things like that. When you really want something from the states and want it to taste just like it that is the place to go. Everywhere else that is an American franchise uses different beef. The chicken always tastes the same. Anyway, this couple who started this in Doha have 6 places now. I know they have one in Bahrain and a few other places. Of course, it costs a little more, but when you want it you can go get it. Someone Mike know and I think used to work with has a friend over here working now and is new. Dad called him and visited for a bit. If we can remember we are going to call tomorrow and see if he would like to go eat at Ric's on Friday. That is his only day off too, so we will get to eat there again. When you are new in town it is nice to know a place like that till you get used to it here.
Well, we are still feeding birds and we have one orange and white cat that comes up for food every now and then. We had salmon patties yesterday and it was here before I even opened the can. It sure did like drinking the juice from it. The birds weren't too happy with it being there though. The cat didn't leave till I gave it the skin, fat and bones from the salmon. It was bulging it was so full. LOL! The birds are glad it isn't here this morning.
Well, that is about all of the info I have for now. Hope you all have a great weekend!

Debbie

Comments:
I found a couple of websites that let you stream American TV. Remind me and I will send you some of them.

It's pretty bad when the Asians come to your country and mop the floor in the games...
 
Still enjoy your updates. Dad said he bet you ate breakfast at Ric's. Sounds like you had plenty of choices there. Love Mom & Dad
 
Still enjoy your updates. Dad said he bet you ate breakfast at Ric's. Sounds like you have plenty of choices there. Love Mom&Dad
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?