Friday, August 31, 2007

 

Settling down

Good morning everyone! Today has started out good. No rain as of yet, but hopefully we will get some later on today. Didn't get one drop yesterday. You know I love rain.
Anyway, we have now been in our house 3 weeks today. I must admit that sometimes it seems like forever and others it seems it was maybe a few days ago. I have just about finished unloading all of the boxes that are for in the house. I think I have one more to unload today. The rest are boxes that go in the attic. Holiday decorations, keepsakes and things like that. Not too bad. We are getting settled. Hopefully our love seat will come in today and we can pick it up tomorrow or this evening. We will have to make arrangements if it comes in. I still need to buy every day dishes and some glasses, but that will come. I have looked and just haven't found the ones I want. Mike is being very patient. We are eating on china and drinking out of styrofoam cups for now. I did get some new pots and pans, so that isn't a problem. We got a new lawn mower and weedeater last weekend.
Got the yard all mowed and weedeated. Mike did the weedeating and I mowed. Our back yard is fenced in and inside the fence is a small area that is fenced off. It has a cable transformer thingy and the normal cable box and stuff like that in it. Poor Mike spent the entire time I was mowing trying to get it all weedeated down. The grass had to be over 3 feet tall. Don't think it had been mowed since the last people living here did it. That was over a year ago. Anyway, it is done and looks good. We do plan on taking that little fenced area down. That way we can mow it instead. It has a little tree in there or maybe even two, so it won't look bad.
We have had one visitor come stay with us. My mom came and stayed a week with us. I went and got her on a Friday and Pam and I took her home the next Friday. The Saturday after we picked her up we got up and went shopping at our normal haunts these days, Wal-Mart, Lowe's, and Home Depot. Mom was going to stay home, but when I told her there was nothing in the house to eat and we wouldn't be back till after lunch, she decided she should come with us. She was a very good basket driver. Home Depot and Lowe's are not her favorite places to shop, but she was a good sport and didn't complain. We had a good time while she was here. I think I cooked one meal while she was here. We had sandwiches for lunch and when Mike got home we usually ate out. Not a problem for either of us. Pam came in twice during the week and we went shopping. I had birthday money to spend and we needed to find some pots and pans and a lot of other things for the house. Once we took Danielle out for lunch while we were in. It is so nice having Jay and Danielle close by and Pam and Gerald too. I have never lived this close to my sister. We are actually on Pam and Gerald's way into town. NICE! Sometimes when they are close by they call and come by or we meet for a meal. Since Mom has left and I have been working on getting those last few boxes unpacked I have cooked everyday but one. I am getting much better at working it in.
When you move in you organize as you unpack and I think I have re-organized about 3 times now since I have put things up. It is amazing how you see things differently once you get it put up and then have to add more stuff. We didn't have any knobs or handles on any of the drawers or cabinet doors. Mike has now taken care of that. It looks much nicer and it is so much easier to open and close things. (Sorry Mom we didn't get that done while you were here.) We have put in two ceiling fans that needed to be replaced. Much nicer with the newones. Got a new kitchen faucet, garbage disposal (sp), new front door knob (when the previous owners left they took the nice one and put a little small one on and it left a bolt hole in the front door), a new light fixture over the kitchen sink, some new door knobs and a door organizer for one of my pantries. I have 3 pantries, by the way. I use two of them for dishes and pots and pans and the other one is for food. We don't have many cabinets or drawers, so it is a good thing there are pantries. I am pretty sure that is most of the new stuff we have added. Actually I figure I have left a few things off the list, but it is all I can think of now. Oh one big thing I forgot, we got a new tv. You would think I wouldn't forget that, but until lately we haven't use it much.
We have met 3 of our neighbors and they seem really nice. We like where we are and our location is great. Mike's commute to work of a morning is about 30 minutes and on the way home it is about an hour. Not too bad. He usually calls when he gets to the last main road on his way home. It is 5 miles from when he gets on that road to our house. It normally takes him about 15 minutes with all of the lights. The other night he called and it took him 45 minutes. We had some really strong thunder storms that afternoon and two lights were out and there was one wreck. It is a very busy road! His total commute that night was about an hour and 45 minutes. He didn't care for that too much. Other than that he says the commute isn't too bad at all.
Well, that is about all I can think of for now. Hope everyone has a really nice and safe Labor Day weekend!!!!

Debbie

Comments:
glad to get the update on what all you have been doing to the house. we are anxious to come and see it. Nonna
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?