Wednesday, September 24, 2008

 

Readying for Ike and babies babies babies



Exciting, huh? Another post already. Well, I took some pictures this morning and realized Danielle took some pictures of us getting ready for good old Ike. We didn't get any after pictures at our house or Jay and Danielle's after Ike.
This wasn't the start of the picture taking. This is when Danielle
realized we should take some
pictures. I am so glad she went in and got my camera and took some. The scary part was over by now...thankfully. We have a little really steep front porch and it was extremely tough for Jay and Mike let alone us on the ground. They got it done and all was well.
In these first few pictures the guys are on the roof of the garage putting

a board on one of the spare bedroom windows. They thought this was a much easier thing to do than the front porch. As you can see from the smiles on their faces. We only got a few pictures of putting up these boards, because as you go around to the back of the house it is a little tricky again.


It took all of us to do this crazy house. Mike and Jay took turns putting up the boards and sometimes Jay did a few more than Mike, but we did get it all done.
These boards are really heavy and we got the 1/4 inch ones. They recommend the 5/8 inch ones. As Mike said, "We will never get the 5/8 inch ones on the upper windows for

sure." He was right. A little too much of a breeze, too.
Now here on your left is our professional board cutter. She has the drill in her hands at the moment, but she only does a couple of the screws. Her main job turned out to be sawing the boards while the guys rested in between windows. I got to be an assistant while she was

cutting the boards, by standing on one end so it wouldn't move. LOL!!
As you can see Jay is on the ladder and I get to hold it in place, too. My other job. Sometimes it was hard to hold especially when they were balancing a board up there.
When it was time to take all of this down Mike and I did it. I actually got to unscrew some boards from the house. We do have 16 windows in this house of ours, so we thought we ought to board up. Taking down was easier.



This morning I heard the ducks coming. They make their whistling noise I call and squawking noise. I hurried to watch them fly in. I was looking for the babies. They have just started coming with the parents and a few others. The parents don't let any of the other adult ducks eat out of the same feeder the babies are eating out of. The ducks with

the black bills are the babies. The one to the far right of the first picture is a baby. Actually all of them in that picture are babies except for the one on the far left of the feeder.
In the next picture the one in the back with it's head up and with the orange bill and the white on it's wing is the adult. These guys look

like they are the same size and the other adult birds, but they are not. I didn't have a picture of them on the neighbors roof, but when you see them there instead of in the grass you can tell just how much smaller they are.
We have one that has a gimp leg. It didn't have it the first time they came, but we noticed it on the

second or third day. Have no clue what happened to it, but today it is able to just touch hold it's leg down in the right position. Previously it could not. It stuck straight out behind him. It is the one in the previous picture in the front of the feeder in the middle. It is holding it's leg just off to the left. It is not the one in the bowl.

Here is the best picture of one of the babies. I can't believe I actually got him all alone. I took this through the back door blinds. It was tricky. Not long after this the cat came and they all flew away. If the babies weren't with them they probably wouldn't have all flown off. They are very protective of these little guys.

Well, that is about all that is new around here. Ya'll take care!

Debbie

Comments:
We'll have to come by and see the new ducks. Good post.
 
A new post already! You're trying to make me look bad! LOL! Great pix and post. Boy, I'll bet that was tough, putting those boards on the upstairs windows - kinda dangerous. And what cute little baby ducks!
Carolyn
 
Great Post. t is scary to see the job of boarding up the windows. I hope you don't have to do it again. Great pictures of the ducks. Love Mom
 
Wow, this was a surprise! I hadn't even checked in the last few days, because I was sure you were done posting for a while. I am glad we have no upstairs windows...I struggled enough helping with the downstairs ones. Cute ducks..they must be fun to watch.
Elaine (NanE)
 
Deb, it's been three months since you posted anything...time for a new post girl!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?